Skip to main content

NHBMP #12: I Call B.S.!

Today's NHBPM topic is an extra fun one:  Call B.S. on something.  A few things come to mind, but the over-arching theme is the lack of attention that is paid to mental health in the context of physical illness.  Has it gained some recognition in the past decade? Yes.  But we are so far from where we need to be.  Many factors contribute to this slow progress, and I'm going to call out a few here.  I'm also going to comment on the "Functional/Organic" illness divide that I've seen in medicine, and how these conditions are often perceived by others.



It's B.S. for many physicians to dismiss the psychological and social issues that go hand-in-hand with a chronic medical diagnosis as less important.  Not all do, and there are some who embrace this relationship.  But in my experience it's not yet the norm.  Yes, it's beyond the scope of their training, it's uncomfortable to talk about, and it can push them over the small 15-minute window they have for appointments.  I get that, but there are resources out there that physicians can use (points thumb at myself).  If they partner with a mental health professional who is skilled in working with these clients, it'll reduce their patients' healthcare utilization and improve medical outcomes.  The research supports this over and over again.  Yet so many don't understand the value in this multidisciplinary approach enough to routinely think about it.

It's B.S. for insurance companies not to cover mental health services on the same level as medical services.  I dedicated an entire blog entry to this, so I won't go on here.  I've had so many people reach out to us for discounted or free treatment because they don't have insurance or they do but no mental health coverage.  I usually have to refer them to community mental health centers, with long waits for appointments and over-worked staff.  Steph and I do offer a limited number of discounted slots, but we also run a business.  I would love to be able to see everyone for free.  Once I win the lottery.

It's B.S. for people to dismiss "functional" illnesses such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome as lesser conditions, or worse - all in the person's head.  I started my research life creating a questionnaire to measure stigma perceptions in patients with IBS, which I extended to IBD for my doctoral dissertation.  Both groups experience stigma, but the IBS group reported more especially from health care providers.  I've reviewed (and rejected) research manuscripts that my peers have submitted because of their derogatory language toward those with IBS.  Just because an illness doesn't show up on traditional diagnostic testing doesn't mean the symptoms aren't equally as real and equally as debilitating.

The previous statement is also true for people who have an "organic" disease but their tests are coming back clean, yet they still have symptoms.

It's B.S. for anyone to be thought of as weak for seeing a therapist.

Dr. Phil is B.S. (Now I'm just getting off on a tangent)





Popular posts from this blog

So You Have IBD During a Pandemic

Hey! What's going on? Been pretty boring over here in Chicago. Ok I don't need to elaborate on what the hell is going on in the world. We are being bombarded with information - some accurate, a lot inaccurate - about this pandemic. It's very easy to become completely overwhelmed by it all. We've been forced, pretty damn quickly, to completely overhaul our way of life for the greater good. To reduce the strain on our healthcare system of the sick and dying. And us humans are generally bad with rapid, monumental change that we really don't have a lot of say in. Our little reptilian brains do what they're supposed to do (prime us for fight or flight or freeze) but our advanced "thinking" parts of our brain have to interject with all sorts of unhelpful thoughts, thereby sending some of us off the rails. Before we start, turn off the news. Seriously. In the days following 9-11 we found people who consumed more 24-hour news channel information were mor

Psychosocial aspects of having an ostomy

This past Saturday, Tiffany and I had the honor of speaking at the United Ostomy Associations of America's Regional Midwest conference. I was assigned the task of speaking to the patients, and Tiffany addressed the partners or caregivers. I wanted to share with you some of the highlights from my talk. I only had an hour for my session, and with about 100 people in the room, it was not nearly enough time. I love bullet points, so here you go: We are all different! Every ostomate is different and not one size fits all for the emotional/mental aspect either. Who had months to talk about an ostomy and weigh pros/cons? Who was this a more sudden decision for? Who had cancer? Who had IBD? Something else? Who had an ileostomy? colostomy? urostomy? Who has a temporary? Permanent? Multiple temporaries? What age where you when you got your ostomy? Under 20, 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60+ Who was single when they got their ostomy? With a serious partner when they had it? Some find a stom

IBD & Medical Trauma

Medical trauma is such an under-recognized issue for the chronnically ill. It's a hard topic to talk about because it can seem like we are pointing fingers at healthcare workers. Maybe that's why there are only, now, 4 studies on the topic in patients with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). If you are someone who treats people with IBD please know I am not here to demonize or criticize. I am both a patient and a GI psychologist. I know the medical system from both sides. I know how messed up and broken it is. But ignoring this or rationalizing it away as only affecting a few folks is wrong. So let's talk about it. Post-traumatic stress (PTS) is the term we use for medical trauma due to technicalities in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental Disorders (DSM-5) for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). PTS can be less severe that full on PTSD, or it can be full on PTSD. Regardless, the symptoms are identical: Feeling hypervigilant/on-edge (increased