Skip to main content

Comparison

Happy New Year, everyone! We are wishing all our readers a happy and healthy 2014. Now that we are past the hectic holiday season, we are left to look ahead and plan for the upcoming year. In reflecting on my past year, I noticed how my brain immediately went to the things that went wrong or the things that didn't come to fruition like I had hoped. Its funny how that happens. Part of it is human nature- we are hard-wired to remember and avoid situations that were painful for us. But there is an element that I want to focus on today, and that is comparison. It is when I start looking at others who have what I want, that I start coming up short. When I made a list of the top then things that happened this year, I was astounded by how good I felt! That all goes out the door when I start the game of comparison.

Our society is built on this concept, and there isn't an advertisement out there that doesn't tap into this. We are supposed to look at the various marketing in the media and remember just how much we don't measure up. If only we had thinner, healthier, fitter, more beautiful, less-aging bodies. If only we had more money to buy more stuff- cars, houses, vacations, college educations, electronics, toys. If only we had more relationship success- more friends, a spouse, a better marriage, kids, grandkids. We look at the media and find the ways our lives don't measure up. "Why does so-and-so have it all together, and I don't? If only I had ____, I would be happy." These are signs of a losing battle with comparison.


Don't get me started on the effects of social media! I was reflecting on how difficult this year was for me, although it was full of wonderful moments too. If you look at any of my social media posts, you would have no idea some of the struggles I dealt with. Why? Because people don't post struggles, they post victories. Even when I was in the hospital for close to a month last December, I posted the little victories, not the daily Heparin bruises, or the discouraging readmissions from vomiting. People tend to post life highlights, and when you are dealing with a chronic illness, there may be long periods of illness where you don't post. Fortunately there are secret groups where patients can post all sorts of brutal honest accounts of their current suffering, but this is hidden from the general public. Instead, when patients are sick and confined to their house, they sometimes spend hours looking at all the other fun adventures that healthy people are having, which in turn makes them more miserable!


It's the people closest to us that know the depths of our lows that are truly the best reminders when reflecting on the past year. There are a few close family and friends who can walk through the valleys with us and also celebrate on the mountaintops. That makes life truly worth it. So as we look forward to the rest of 2014, let's give thanks for those who have walked the journey of chronic illness with us. Let's remember the power that the media has to skew our perspective, especially on our down days. Instead of comparing illnesses, lets find commonalities and encourage each other. Let's fight back against comparison and live in the present moment- its all we truly have!

Popular posts from this blog

So You Have IBD During a Pandemic

Hey! What's going on? Been pretty boring over here in Chicago. Ok I don't need to elaborate on what the hell is going on in the world. We are being bombarded with information - some accurate, a lot inaccurate - about this pandemic. It's very easy to become completely overwhelmed by it all. We've been forced, pretty damn quickly, to completely overhaul our way of life for the greater good. To reduce the strain on our healthcare system of the sick and dying. And us humans are generally bad with rapid, monumental change that we really don't have a lot of say in. Our little reptilian brains do what they're supposed to do (prime us for fight or flight or freeze) but our advanced "thinking" parts of our brain have to interject with all sorts of unhelpful thoughts, thereby sending some of us off the rails. Before we start, turn off the news. Seriously. In the days following 9-11 we found people who consumed more 24-hour news channel information were mor

Psychosocial aspects of having an ostomy

This past Saturday, Tiffany and I had the honor of speaking at the United Ostomy Associations of America's Regional Midwest conference. I was assigned the task of speaking to the patients, and Tiffany addressed the partners or caregivers. I wanted to share with you some of the highlights from my talk. I only had an hour for my session, and with about 100 people in the room, it was not nearly enough time. I love bullet points, so here you go: We are all different! Every ostomate is different and not one size fits all for the emotional/mental aspect either. Who had months to talk about an ostomy and weigh pros/cons? Who was this a more sudden decision for? Who had cancer? Who had IBD? Something else? Who had an ileostomy? colostomy? urostomy? Who has a temporary? Permanent? Multiple temporaries? What age where you when you got your ostomy? Under 20, 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60+ Who was single when they got their ostomy? With a serious partner when they had it? Some find a stom

IBD & Medical Trauma

Medical trauma is such an under-recognized issue for the chronnically ill. It's a hard topic to talk about because it can seem like we are pointing fingers at healthcare workers. Maybe that's why there are only, now, 4 studies on the topic in patients with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). If you are someone who treats people with IBD please know I am not here to demonize or criticize. I am both a patient and a GI psychologist. I know the medical system from both sides. I know how messed up and broken it is. But ignoring this or rationalizing it away as only affecting a few folks is wrong. So let's talk about it. Post-traumatic stress (PTS) is the term we use for medical trauma due to technicalities in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental Disorders (DSM-5) for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). PTS can be less severe that full on PTSD, or it can be full on PTSD. Regardless, the symptoms are identical: Feeling hypervigilant/on-edge (increased