Skip to main content

That's Probably Nothing

Ever read something on a medical test result that looked bad?  Or, at a minimum, a little suspicious and your doctor either doesn't bring it up or if you ask about it they say "oh that's nothing"?  And you're sitting there, kinda confused, kinda concerned. Why do they do that?

Since the creation of the electronic medical record, and patient portals, people have unprecedented access to their medical information.  Including reports from tests, from routine blood draws to complicated MRIs, that historically have only been seen by physicians.  Unless we specifically requested paper copies. This, combined with Dr. Google, has led to much more educated and informed patients.

*Cue old timey music*

Now kids, pull up a chair. I have a story for yuns....

People my age have one foot in pre-internet times and one in post. I first saw the internet and email in college in 1995 (Netscape Navigator, what?!)  I had an AOL account on a dial-up connection.  My first cell phone was a Nokia 5110 with PrimeCo as the carrier.  I used Limewire and Napster to stea....download music.  It took, I don't know, 4 days to get 1 mp3.
Sweet
I was 22 years old in 1998, living in Wicker Park, a neighborhood in Chicago, before Wicker Park was "cool" (Thanks, Real World).  I literally had a prostitute living in the apartment below me and I sold cigars in a shop down Milwaukee Ave. where the owner was later sued for sexual harassment. I kneaded bread in a local bakery alongside undocumented Polish workers at 5 in the morning. My apartment building was between the "Occult Bookstore" and a gaudy Mexican furniture store. Across the street was The Double Door, where iconic musicians like The Smashing Pumpkins, Cypress Hill, and Chance the Rapper played before they were big.  These were good times.

Little did I realize, in the midst of all this 20-something fun and sweet technological advancements, I would be diagnosed with Crohn's disease in 2002.

I'm pretty sure my cell phone was a Sony Ericsson of some sort; I just remember a high tech color display. At this time, my early medical records were on paper, but some did end up in the newly implemented electronic system including the 2 barium studies that were the basis for my Crohn's diagnosis.

Back in '02, the "bottom-up" approach to IBD treatment was the norm - start with the least potent meds then work your way up to the strong stuff if those were ineffective. Remicade was the only biological medication on the market for Crohn's and it was considered new and risky and kinda scary. My GI wasn't sure it was really Crohn's after I failed to respond to budesonide, so I went a year or so with no treatment as he tried to figure it out.  He didn't want to be wrong and put me on Remicade.

In 2004, when I'd upgraded to the ultra-cool Motorola Razr, I grew my first fistula and my whole world changed. Little did I realize, I'd really grown my first fistula in 2002 (or maybe earlier) but my then-gastroenterologist either ignored it or missed it on those 2 barium studies.  I don't know what he was thinking because my clinic notes were on paper and I have no clue where those are today.

Also available in pink.
I've been in a bit of a flare up for a while, most of this year, and I was talking about my early Crohn's days with my current GI doc, which prompted her to go back and look at those old barium studies from 2002 I brought with me when I switched my care.  She sent me the following message via MyChart then asked me to call her:

"I went back and reviewed the enteroclysis scanned from 2002 into EPIC, 
and it appears there was a [small bowel] fistula based on that result."

I added the "small bowel" part.

In 2002, on 2 separate barium studies, a fistula was present from my small bowel but hadn't made it anywhere yet.  I'd never heard about this.  It never came up with my old doc.  My current doc periodically mentions a small bowel fistula in the context of my current flare and I was like "nah, that's not a thing" in my head, and just assumed she was confused there was one, not that she had read it 7 years ago when I came to her for my care. 

Why my former GI doc ignored the fistula is an unknown.  Am I angry about it?  Yes, because now that the eagle has landed, so to speak, I don't have good treatment options if my new medication doesn't work.  It behaved for 10 years, so I'm going to go with the meds will work.

But it also shows that tests are sometimes an imperfect science and clinical judgment is vital. There are going to be findings on a test that don't mean much of anything in the big picture of each individual patient, and a doctor will decide they're not worth treating or further investigating and everything is fine.  Additional testing or treatment would actually be worse, both in terms of the patient's health and unnecessary costs.  That's good doctoring.  But when something like this happens, it feels catastrophic.

I've had my share of normal tests when I'm symptomatic, abnormal tests when I'm not, and inconclusive tests that confuse the whole situation.  For me, medical tests invoke anxiety.  Not because I'm claustrophobic and need to spend time in MRI tubes, or I have a needle phobia.  The tests themselves don't scare me, it's the results process.  How will my doctor interpret something that isn't blatantly obvious, which, for me, is rare?  Will something get dismissed that will later come back to bite me in the ass?

My current GI doc understands this anxiety, and is able to talk me down when I get worked up.  I'm fortunate in that regard.  But if I could go the rest of my life without a medical test, that'd be cool.


--T2

Popular posts from this blog

So You Have IBD During a Pandemic

Hey! What's going on? Been pretty boring over here in Chicago. Ok I don't need to elaborate on what the hell is going on in the world. We are being bombarded with information - some accurate, a lot inaccurate - about this pandemic. It's very easy to become completely overwhelmed by it all. We've been forced, pretty damn quickly, to completely overhaul our way of life for the greater good. To reduce the strain on our healthcare system of the sick and dying. And us humans are generally bad with rapid, monumental change that we really don't have a lot of say in. Our little reptilian brains do what they're supposed to do (prime us for fight or flight or freeze) but our advanced "thinking" parts of our brain have to interject with all sorts of unhelpful thoughts, thereby sending some of us off the rails. Before we start, turn off the news. Seriously. In the days following 9-11 we found people who consumed more 24-hour news channel information were mor

Psychosocial aspects of having an ostomy

This past Saturday, Tiffany and I had the honor of speaking at the United Ostomy Associations of America's Regional Midwest conference. I was assigned the task of speaking to the patients, and Tiffany addressed the partners or caregivers. I wanted to share with you some of the highlights from my talk. I only had an hour for my session, and with about 100 people in the room, it was not nearly enough time. I love bullet points, so here you go: We are all different! Every ostomate is different and not one size fits all for the emotional/mental aspect either. Who had months to talk about an ostomy and weigh pros/cons? Who was this a more sudden decision for? Who had cancer? Who had IBD? Something else? Who had an ileostomy? colostomy? urostomy? Who has a temporary? Permanent? Multiple temporaries? What age where you when you got your ostomy? Under 20, 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60+ Who was single when they got their ostomy? With a serious partner when they had it? Some find a stom

IBD & Medical Trauma

Medical trauma is such an under-recognized issue for the chronnically ill. It's a hard topic to talk about because it can seem like we are pointing fingers at healthcare workers. Maybe that's why there are only, now, 4 studies on the topic in patients with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). If you are someone who treats people with IBD please know I am not here to demonize or criticize. I am both a patient and a GI psychologist. I know the medical system from both sides. I know how messed up and broken it is. But ignoring this or rationalizing it away as only affecting a few folks is wrong. So let's talk about it. Post-traumatic stress (PTS) is the term we use for medical trauma due to technicalities in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental Disorders (DSM-5) for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). PTS can be less severe that full on PTSD, or it can be full on PTSD. Regardless, the symptoms are identical: Feeling hypervigilant/on-edge (increased